- Past initiatives
- Sexual Assault Victims Rights Amendment Act (SAVRAA) – DCRCC was instrumental in advancing SAVRAA in 2014. This important piece of local legislation for the District of Columbia was inspired by the experiences of survivors and advocates, and contained several elements to furnish more support for victims, including codifying necessary qualifications of and access to sexual assault victim advocates, confidentiality of communications between victims and advocates, faster processing of rape kits and attention to the rape kit backlog, information-sharing with victims, and increased accountability of the local police department’s handling of sexual assault cases and citizen complaints. DCRCC was active in supporting and equipping survivors in testifying and organizing around SAVRAA as well as moving the legislation towards passage in DC.
*For full text of the Bill see PDF Attachment SAVRAA 2013 Full Bill
- DCRCC has also shown its support by signing onto the following letters:
- Letter to House Majority Leadership supporting Bipartisan Immigration Reform Bill.
- National Latina Alliance Against Sexual Violence (ALAS) letter to President Obama regarding the Child Refugee Crisis.
- National Alliance to End Sexual Violence (NAESV) comments on the Department of Education proposed rulemaking regarding the VAWA Reauthorization of 2013.
- The Human Rights Project for Girls passage of The Preventing Sex Trafficking and Improving Opportunities for Youth in Foster Care Act, H.R. 4058, and the Justice for Victims of Trafficking Act, H.R. 3530.
- Justice for Survivors (JSC) Letter to Promote Support for SAVRAA
ALAS letter to President Obama
Justice For Victim Trafficking Bill
Letter Supporting bipartisan Immigration Reform Bill
NAESV comments to DOE about VAWA Reauthorization
Rape Kit Support Letter
SAVRAA 2013 Full Bill
VAWA Reauthorization Key Provisions